Sunday, July 11, 2010

Day 3

The doctor we saw in the ER at the University of Utah who works in the burn unit gave us the number to call at 8am. So, bright and early, I was on the phone making an appointment. It's very strange that they have no openings until I pulled a name drop of the doctor who saw us in the ER and they were able to get us in within the hour...

So, let me break this story for a minute and explain that Matt and I only have one car right now. Not something that really has sunk in yet, so it didn't dawn on me that we were going to have to manage work, appointment, two kids, two parents, etc. It is a fine dance we dance, when we communicate. When we don't, it's chaos. Luckily, we don't live far from the U and I wouldn't mind walking home. There is the tracks station close by to make my walk shorter. But even more lucky, Matt has a job that allows him to be a little flexible with his time. Even more lucky than that, he has a boss that has a two year old who understands and even though there was a demonstration Matt needed to be to, his boss took over until we were done.

So, in the burn unit, outpatients are only seen by Nurse Practitioners. Which I certainly don't mind. In my experience, I have found better bedside manner from them than doctors (and sometimes longer waiting time, but they also spend more time in the appointment I am there for as well.) This particular NP was great. He was very friendly and I liked him very much. We also had the pleasure of meeting the Physical Therapists. They explained that burns tend to shrink and he would want to close his hands. As they heal, the burns would heal that way and he wouldn't be able to open his hands. That is where they come in and give us stretches to keep that from happening. While I don't like to be treated at a teaching hospital, I like being there with my family members. The doctors are explaining to the residents what and why for everything, so I learn more than I would otherwise.

Up until now, he had big, thick, white bandages resembling boxing gloves on. I was worried that he would have useless hands until he healed. It was very good to know they'd only bandage the actual wounds and he will be able to use his fingers. They said they wanted him to play and that would be the best physical therapy and in past experience, they've found that the more limiting they make a child's healing, the more they resist it.

Yay! I won't have to feed or hold his drinks anymore!

We were given two options of bandages. #1- change them everyday, but he can bathe. #2- A foam that they put on that has silver in it and the silver is a microbial so we don't have to touch the bandages until we see them again on Monday. Hand injuries really gross me out... let's go #2.

I feel really bad for the little guy, he sees scrubs and starts to shake his head and says "no,no,no". We may have to buy him scrubs for Halloween and he'll think he's the scariest person ever.

They wrapped him up, gave us some paperwork, told us to call anytime if we have any problems or questions, and sent us to checkout.

The U of U Hospital doesn't take our insurance.

No comments: