Sunday, October 31, 2010

FHE

Ok, so for those of you who have no idea what FHE stands for it's "Family Home Evening".

Growing up in Utah, I got used to not being able to play with a lot of friends on Monday nights due to FHE. It's the night that families put aside to spend with the family, doing an activity, and exploring a lesson together. It is a really great idea. While our family didn't have a specific day picked out, we did our fair share of spending quality time together. Much to the chagrin of my anti-social, I hate my family, child and teenager-ness.

My DFIL grew up doing a special family home evening the first Sunday of every month and he really wanted to pass this tradition on to his kids and grandkids, so we've implemented it. The first Sunday of every month, we are given an item to prepare. It could be potatoes, dessert, veggies, or the lesson.

It really is my favorite Sunday of the month and I always look forward to it. I can almost always count on Grandma Hadfield to bring the delicious Rhode's rolls that I am too impatient to make myself or her amazing chocolate cake. Even the rare Sunday's she doesn't, it doesn't even matter. The food is always excellent as well as the company. It's nice to see the Great Grands and to on occasion see Michael and Emily when their busy selves grace us with their presence. :)

We start off with every family sharing news of what happened the previous month, any news, etc. that Jeri puts in a binder that she keeps. It will be very fun to re-read this after years have passed. I always enjoy the lessons we learn every month and I especially love the ones from the Grands. It is usually stories and lessons from when they were kids and that's always so interesting to me. I love hearing stories about the childhood of others older than me. So, this prompted me to write about the lessons and what I got out of them for my kids to read later on.

This is the lesson that the Grands gave last FHE. It is a story and how stories are used to teach lessons.

When Hannah Var Eight Yar Old by Katherine Peabody Girling (June 1913)

Click on the link above. It is in book form, with pictures, and you can turn the page like it is a book. It is very cool. It's a great story.

It is a great lesson and Grandma Darlene told us how after teaching the kids this lesson, all they had to do if the kids didn't want to do something, saying it was too hard, was to say the title of the story. A good reminder that others have had it worse and have come through just ok.





1 comment:

Ang said...

Wow, that was a beautiful story.