Thursday, January 6, 2011

The Freud/Glasser/Jung of things

I started going to therapy a little while ago. Just wanted to throw that out there. I assume that eventually I or someone else will talk about it and I didn't want anyone to think it was something I was embarrassed about.

I WILL say, however, that finding a therapist is a daunting, ridiculous task in the fact that you have to try to find someone who is on your insurance plan and who is taking new patients.

And to answer your question, I decided to go to therapy to help me deal with ordinary, everyday issues in dealing with my children and my life and my husband. Not that any of them are bad, things are great, I just never learned to deal with the stressors of life and just needed an objective opinion on what I was dealing with, how I was dealing, and better hints and tips to deal better.

I have melt downs every time my kids melt down. I can't deal with the screaming and the crying. I don't think it's an emotional response, I just don't like loud noises. I was given the idea of lightly listening to my ipod or putting ear plugs in because you can still hear what is going on, it just turns the decibels down a bit. The most brilliant idea I've ever been given. Ever. I don't have such a negative emotional response to their meltdowns now. I can sit back, figure out what they need and address them rationally. And even smile while doing it.

Can I just say that my therapist looks a lot like Sarah Brightman. It's weird talking to her.

But she is also helping me learn a lot of lessons in communication with my husband which is a big, fat deal. For way too many years, I've felt that my needs and desires were not important and she is teaching me that it's ok to share my needs and desires. That I am important and that even if they are irrational things, my life partner gets to share in those thoughts. They may happen and they may not, but it's ok to let him in on my inner me.

I initially had a reason for writing this post and I am pretty sure it had something to do with Linus, but in the holidays and a few other things, I lost my story.

But, yeah, I'm in therapy. It really was amazing for me when I was pregnant with Linus and dealing with WAY too much stuff to wrap my head around and I figured it would really help my overwhelmed self now. I actually recommend it to most moms. It's nice to be able to express my feelings, concerns, fears, guilt, and realize that most of it is normal and unnecessary.

2 comments:

Ang said...

Wow, that sounds like a great idea. I've thought about seeing a counselor several times over the years and maybe one day I'll do it. It seems like a lot of effort when everything is okay but I know I tend to internalize things and it could really help with past issues and whatnot. I admire you for doing this.

Hollie Wood said...

Been there done that. And now that I think about it, I think Alexis and Jensen were around the same age as Linus and Bea are now when I was going. Sometimes two little ones can make you lose your mind and it helps to have some nice adult talk with someone other than a family member who isn't there to judge, but to listen and offer unbiased advice and tips. Good luck. {{hugs}}