Monday, January 3, 2011

The glue that binds

I know of a family where the husband got a vasectomy and five years later, his wife got pregnant. I'm not really sure what that conversation was like, but from the story I heard, he basically said, "well, I guess I better go into the doctor to see if this thing reversed itself" Because he never did go back in after the procedure. I'm not sure if there was any finger pointing or fighting or whatever, but I do know they were in a bad place in their marriage at the time of the incident... maybe not the best time to be having a baby. Nor am I sure why it took 5 years for her to get pregnant.

What I am sure of, is that it's because sometimes, God or whatever higher being you believe in, sends down a little body to be the glue.

Their little girl ended up being the glue that had bound their family. She was exactly what they needed in their family and she completed them. That was 7-ish years ago and they are still doing great. She is just a little joy to be around and is the glue.

In my family right now, Bea is the glue. At least for me. She manages, on an hourly basis, to make me laugh. She brings me joy and more importantly makes Linus laugh.

Now that they aren't two babies anymore, I am starting to enjoy them more and more.

There is nothing funnier that watching her chimpanzee walk while she begs for a banana and then runs off with it and shoving it in her mouth. Or watching her nom-nom-nom her way through everything she eats. She never stops smiling and laughing and it's almost impossible to get mad at her.

She lays down for her naps, just curls up with her blankie, beenkie in her mouth, and sighs a big, happy sigh. Sometimes she gets cold and I'll wrap her up and rub her legs and back to warm her up. She'll sit and giggle a little bit, look up at me with the biggest, cheesiest grin and lay her head back down.

Her new thing is to walk up to Matt or I and just hug our legs. From mom to dad and back again. Over and over. She is such a cuddle bug and just wants Daddy to hold her.

She makes it easy to see the fun in Linus and the innocence he has and his brilliance in things that a two year old should not be so skilled at. She makes it easy to laugh at his quirks and his little things that usually rub me the wrong way.

I have a feeling I will forever apologize for naming her Grace as she's the most ungraceful person I've ever met so far, but she really is the glue that binds us together these days.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have to disagree about her name. Grace is perfect for her. She is the embodiment of Grace of the spirit. One smile and peace envelopes you. I'm sure it's not just because I'm the Nana.